Book Report – ‘The 4-Hour Workweek’

I recently read ‘The 4-Hour Workweek’ by Timothy Ferriss.  It was a very interesting read and had some good advice.  The author has a very different take on life than my own, and it was fun to see the contrast.  Some of the ideas I agreed with, some I didn’t, but it was an inspiring book for me.  Here are some of the ideas I took away:

1 – I need to practice not finishing things, so I am currently trying to apply this in my own life.  This includes food (I often overeat just because I can’t stand to let things go to waste), movies (how many stupid 2 hour movies have I sat through just because I started them or paid $7 to see them), books (why finish a book just because you started it, if you’re not enjoying it?) and other things in life, as well as in business.  If something isn’t working or you don’t want to do it anymore, just stop doing it.  This goes against much of what I was taught growing up, that you always finish what you start, but what if you’re doing something stupid?  Why not cut your losses and start something more beneficial?

2 – I need to concentrate more on getting work done than spending time at work.  The book offers some great advice on how to distance yourself from the office and then spend time concentrating on completing your essential work, and letting the rest of the crap that you fill your typical day up with, go undone.  This leaves more time for doing things that are important.

3 – The 80/20 rule.  I don’t think this is a new concept, but it was new to me.  The idea applies to a lot of things: about 80% of your problems are caused by 20% of your customers; about 80% of your income is generated by 20% of your work; and so on.  If you concentrate on the most useful, profitable, or enjoyable 80% of things, letting the other 20% go, you can maximize your efforts.  I’m not sure exactly how I’m going to apply this in my life, but it’s got me thinking.

If nothing else, the book inspired me to look at my life and try to be more proactive and assertive in making things the way I want them, rather than letting others dictate my life for me.  I recommend this book to anyone.

Here’s a link for anyone who wants to buy the book on Amazon:

The 4-Hour Workweek: Escape 9-5, Live Anywhere, and Join the New Rich

Advertisements

One Response

  1. I’m always in the market for a good read. Thanks for the review. I’ll be thinking about your perspective while reading it.

    Are you on Goodreads.com? If you are, I want to add you to my “friends”

Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out / Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out / Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out / Change )

Google+ photo

You are commenting using your Google+ account. Log Out / Change )

Connecting to %s

%d bloggers like this: